Animals & Biodiversity
Think Tank Programme
Animal Legal Personhood
- Abate, R. S. (2019) Legal Personhood for Wildlife. In Climate Change and the Voiceless. Protecting Future Generations, Wildlife, and Natural Resources. Cambridge University Press, pp. 97-119
- Francione, G. (1995). Animals, property, and the law. Temple University Press.
- Francione, G. (2008) Animals as persons: Essays on the abolition of animal exploitation. New York: Columbia University Press
- Kurki, V. A. (2019). A Theory of Legal Personhood. Oxford University Press.
- Regad, C., Riot, C. (2020) La Personnalité Juridique de l’Animal. Les Animaux liés à un Fonds. LexisNexis
- Regad, C., Riot, C., Schmitt, S. (2018) La Personnalité Juridique de l’Animal. L’Animal de Compagnie. LexisNexis
- Sharpe, R. J., McMahon, P. I. (2008) The Persons case: The origins and legacy of the fight for legal personhood. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
- Singer, P. & Cavalieri, P. (1993) The Great Ape Project: Equality Beyond Humanity. St Martins Press
- Pietrzykowski, T., Kurki, V., & Eds. (2017). Legal Personhood: Animals, Artificial Intelligence and the Unborn. Springer.
- Waldau, P. (2017) Animals as Legal Subjects. In The Oxford Handbook of Animal Studies. Kalof, L. (eds.) Oxford University Press
- Wise, S. M. (2000) Rattling the cage: Toward legal rights for animals. London: Profile.
- Wise, Steven M. (2002) Unlocking the cage: Science and the case for animal rights. Oxford: Perseus
- Aaltola, E. (2008). Personhood and animals. Environmental Ethics, 30(2), 175-193.
- Bilchitz, D. (2009). Moving beyond arbitrariness: The legal personhood and dignity of non-human animals. South African Journal on Human Rights, 25(1), 38–72.
- Boyle, B. (2016). Free Tilly: Legal Personhood for Animals and the Intersectionality of the Civil and Animal Rights Movements. Indiana Journal of Law and Social Equality, 4.
- Bryant, T. L. (2008). Sacrificing the Sacrifice of Animals: Legal Personhood for Animals, the Status of Animals as Property, and the Presumed Primacy of Humans. Rutgers Law Journal, 39, 247.
- Chauvet, D. (2020) Four kinds of nonhuman animal legal personification. Global Journal of Animal Law 8
- Chen, J., & Burgess, P. (2018). The boundaries of legal personhood: how spontaneous intelligence can problematise differences between humans, artificial intelligence, companies and animals. Artificial Intelligence and Law.
- Cupp, R. L. (2016). Focusing on Human Responsibility rather than Legal Personhood for Nonhuman Animals. Pace Environmental Law Review, 33, 517.
- Cupp, R. L. (2017). Cognitively Impaired Humans, Intelligent Animals, and Legal Personhood. Florida Law Review, 69, 465–517.
- Cupp, R. L. (2018). Litigating Nonhuman Animal Legal Personhood. Texas Tech Law Review, 50, 573.
- Favre, D. (2000) Equitable self-ownership for animals. Duke Law Journal, 50, pp. 473-502.
- Fraser, G. J. (2016) Legal Personhood for Animals in New Zealand. Dissertation submitted for the degree of Bachelor of Laws. University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand.
- Garner, R. (2002) Political ideology and the legal status of animals. Animal Law Review, 8, pp. 77-91.
- Glenn, L. M. (2003). A Legal Perspective on Humanity, Personhood, and Species Boundaries. American Journal of Bioethics, 3(3), 27–28.
- Hatten, R. (2015). Legal Personhood for Animals: Can It be Achieved in Australia. Australian Animal Protection Law Journal, 11.
- Holdron, C. (2013) The Case for Legal Personhood for Nonhuman Animals and the Elimination of their Status as Property in Canada. Thesis submitted for the degree of Masters of Laws. Faculty of Law, Toronto.
- Jowitt, J. (2020). Legal rights for animals: Aspiration or logical necessity?*. Journal of Human Rights and the Environment, 11(2), 198–173.
- Korsgaard, C. (2013) Personhood, Animals, and the Law. Think Volume 12 Issue 34, pp. 25-32.
- Kurki, V. (2017). Why Things Can Hold Rights: Reconceptualizing the Legal Person. In V. Kurki & T. Pietrzykowski (Eds.), Legal Personhood: Animals, Artificial Intelligence and the Unborn.
- Kymlicka, W. (2017) Social Membership: Animal Law beyond the Property/Personhood Impasse. Dalhousie Law Journal 123.
- Leech, K. (2016) Personhood for Animals. Lab Animal 45, 303.
- Maddux, E. A. (2012) Time to stand: Exploring the past, present, and future of nonhuman animal standing. Wake Forest Law Review, 47, pp. 1243-1267.
- Naffine, N. (2012). Legal personality and the natural world: on the persistence of the human measure of value. Journal of Human Rights and the Environment, 3, 68–83.
- Naffine, N. (2017). Legal Persons as Abstractions. In V. A. Kurki & T. Pietrzykowski (Eds.), Legal Personality: Animals, Artificial Intelligence and the Unborn (pp. 15–27).
- Pietrzykowski, T. (2017). The Idea of Non-personal Subjects of Law. In V. A. Kurki & T. Pietrzykowski (Eds.), Legal Personhood: Animals, Artificial Intelligence and the Unborn (pp. 49–67).
- Riot, C. (2018) Legal Personhood of Animals (I): The case for the legal personhood of companion animals. Synthesis of doctrinal developments. dA. Derecho Animal 9/2, pp. 56-60.
- Schneider, K. (2019) The Evolution of Legal Personhood for Nonhuman Animals in the United States. Global Journal of Animal Law 7.
- Siemieniec, P. (2019) Animal Personhood: A Postanthropocentric Multispecies Legal Subjectivity. Thesis submitted to the Graduate Program in Philosophy. Queen’s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada.
- Solaiman, S. M. (2017). Legal personality of robots, corporations, idols and chimpanzees: a quest for legitimacy. Artificial Intelligence and Law, 25(2), 155–179.
- Staker, A. (2017). Should Chimpanzees Have Standing? the Case for Pursuing Legal Personhood for Non-Human Animals. Transnational Environmental Law, 6(3), 485–507.
- Tudor, S. (2010). Some Implications for Legal Personhood of Extending Legal Rights to Non-Human Animals. Australian Journal of Legal Philosophy, 35, 134.
- Wills, J. (2020) Animal rights, Legal personhood and Cognitive capacity: Addressing ‘levelling-down’ concerns. Journal of Human Rights and the Environment, pp. 199-223
- Animal Ethics. The legal status of nonhuman animals. https://www.animal-ethics.org/legal-status-nonhuman-animals/
- Aravind, S. Australasian Animal Studies Association. Nonhuman animal legal personhood (26 July 2019) http://animalstudies.org.au/archives/6934
- Famous Trials. The Case for Animal Personhood. https://famous-trials.com/animalrights/2600-the-case-for-animal-personhood
- Financial Times, Should animals have legal personality?
- Francione, G. L. (n.d.). Sentience and Personhood – Animal Rights: The Abolitionist Approach. http://www.abolitionistapproach.com/sentience-and-personhood
- Good, K. One Green Planet. Why Granting Animals ‘Personhood’ is so Important. https://www.onegreenplanet.org/animalsandnature/why-granting-animals-personhood-is-so-important/
- Jowitt, J. The Conversation. Happy the Elephant was denied rights designed for humans – but the legal definition of ‘person’ is still evolving (6 January 2021) https://theconversation.com/happy-the-elephant-was-denied-rights-designed-for-humans-but-the-legal-definition-of-person-is-still-evolving-152410
- Klinkenborg, V. Yale Environment 360. Animal ‘Personhood’: Muddled Alternative to Real Protection (30 January 2014) https://e360.yale.edu/features/animal_personhood_muddled_alternative_to_real_protection
- Legal-Phi. Visa Kurki: Persons and Personhood (10 October 2019) https://legalphi.wordpress.com/2019/10/10/visa-kurki-persons-and-personhood/
- Monyak, S. The New Republic. When the Law recognizes Animals as People (2 February 2018) https://newrepublic.com/article/146870/law-recognizes-animals-people
- Shooster, J. Wild-Animal Suffering Research. Legal Personhood and the Positive Rights of Wild Animals (11 July 2017). https://was-research.org/writing-by-others/legal-personhood-positive-rights-wild-animals/
- The Atlantic. An Elephant’s Personhood on Trial (28 December 2018) https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/12/happy-elephant-personhood/578818/
- UK Human Rights Blog, Legal personhood for non-human animals? The case of the Nonhuman Rights Project.
- The Nonhuman Rights Project: https://www.nonhumanrights.org/