AI, Cyber Law & Technology Policy
Think Tank Programme
Suggested Readings — Cyber Law
Jus ad Bellum
Jus in Bello
Introductory Materials to Cyber Law
- Michael N. Schmitt ed., Tallinn Manual on the International Law Applicable to Cyber Warfare, Cambridge University Press 2013.
- Michael N. Schmitt ed., Tallinn Manual 2.0 on the International Law Applicable to Cyber Operations, Cambridge University Press, 2017.
- Katharina Ziolkowski ed., Peacetime Regime for State Activities in Cyberspace, NATO CCD COE Publications, December 2013.
- François Delerue, Cyber Operations and International Law, Cambridge University Press, 2020.
- Scott J. Shackelford, Managing Cyber Attacks in International Law, Business and Relations, Cambridge University Press, 2014.
- Russell Buchan, The International Legal Regulation of State-Sponsored Cyber Espionage, International Cyber Norms: Legal, Policy & Industry Perspectives.
- Kenneth Lieberthal and Peter W. Singer, Cybersecurity and US–China relations, China US Focus, 23 February 2012.
- Laurie R. Blank, InternationalLawand Cyber Threats from Non-State Actors, 89 International Law Studies 406 (2013), Emory Public Law Research Paper No. 12-234.
- Doone Jonesand Kim-Kwang Raymond Choo, Should There Be a New Body of Lawfor Cyber Space? 22nd European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS 2014), Tel Aviv, Israel, 9-11 June 2014.
Cyber and Human Rights
- Anja Mihr, Cyber Justice: Human Rights and Good Governance for the Internet, Springer, 2017.
- Anja Mihr, Cyber Justice: Cyber Governance Through Human Rights and A Rule of Law in the Internet, US-China Law Review, Vol. 13, 2016.
- Danielle Keats Citron, Cyber Civil Rights , Boston University Law Review, Vol. 89, pp. 61-125, 2009, University of Maryland Legal Studies Research Paper No. 2008-41.
- Anja Mihr, Good Cyber Governance: The Human Rights and Multi-Stakeholder Approach, Georgetown Journal of International Affairs, 2014 (1).
- Ryan Shandler and Daphna Canetti, A Reality of Vulnerability and Dependence: Internet Access as a Human Right, Israel Law Review, Vol. 52(1), 2019.
- Balkin, Jack M, Digital Speech and Democratic Culture: A Theory of Freedom of Expression for the Information Society, New York University Law Review, Vol 79 (1), 2004.
- Joyce, Daniel, Internet Freedom and Human Rights, European Journal of International Law, Vol. 26 (2), 2015.
- Mathiesen, Kate, The Human Right to Internet Access: A Philosophical Defense, International Review of Information Ethics,Vol. 18 (9), 2012.
Cyber and Sovereignty
- Peter Margulies, Sovereignty and Cyber Attacks: Technology’s Challenge to the Law of State Responsibility , Melbourne Journal of International Law, Vol. 14, No. p.496, 2013, Roger Williams Univ. Legal Studies Paper No. 155.
- Gary P. Corn, Robert Taylor, Sovereignty in the Age of Cyber, Cambridge University Press, 2017.
- Theodore T. Richard, Baseline Territorial Sovereignty and Cyberspace, Lewis & Clark Law Review, 2018.
- Marie Baezner, Patrice Robin, Cyber Sovereignty and Data Sovereignty, 2018 Center for Security Studies (CSS), ETH Zürich.
- Harriet Moynihan, The Application of International Law to State Cyberattacks, Sovereignty and Non-Intervention, Research Paper of International Law Programme, Chatham House, 2019.
- Yi Shen, Cyber Sovereignty and the Governance of Global Cyberspace, China Political Science Review, 2016, Issue 1, pp. 81-93.
- Eric Talbot Jensen, Cyber Sovereignty: The Way Ahead, 50 Texas International Law Journal 275 (2015).
- Zhou Lanxu and Wang Ying, Sovereignty in Cyberspace paper unveiled, China Daily, Tuesday, October22, 2019.
- Milton L Mueller, Against Sovereignty in Cyberspace, International Studies Review, 2019.
Cyber and Jus ad Bellum
- Matthew C. Waxman, Cyber-Attacks and the Use of Force: Back to the Future of Article 2(4),Yale Journal of International Law, Vol. 36, 2011.
- Michael N. Schmitt, Computer Network Attack and the Use of Force in International Law: Thoughts on a Normative Framework, Columbia Journal of Transnational Law, Vol. 37, 1998-99.
- Stuart Malawer, Cyberwarfare: Law & Policy Proposals for U.S. & Global Governance, Virginia Lawyer, Vol. 58, p. 28, February 2010, GMU School of Public Policy Research Paper No. 2009-11.
- Scott Shackelford, From Nuclear War to Net War: Analogizing Cyber Attacks in International Law, Berkley Journal of International Law (BJIL), Vol. 25, No. 3, 2009.
- Oona A. Hathaway, et al., The Law of Cyber-Attack, California Law Review, Vol. 100, No. 4, 2012, Yale Law & Economics Research Paper No. 453, Yale Law School, Public Law Working Paper No. 258.
- Matthew C. Waxman, Self-Defensive Force Against Cyber Attacks: Legal, Strategic and Political Dimensions , International Law Studies, Vol. 89, 2013.
- Simmons, Noah, A Brave New World: Applying International Law of War to Cyber-Attacks , Journal of Law & Cyber Warfare, Vol. 4, Issue 1 (Winter 2014), pp. 42-108.
- William Banks, The Role of Counterterrorism Lawin Shaping Ad Bellum Norms for CyberWar, 89 International Legal Studies 157 (2013).
Cyberattacks and Jus in Bello
- Davis Brown, A Proposal for an International Convention to Regulate the Use of Information Systems in Armed Conflict, Harvard International Law Journal, 2006.
- Voitasec, Dan-Iulian, Applying International Humanitarian Law to Cyber-Attacks, Lex ET Scientia International Journal, Vol. 22, Issue 1 (2015), pp. 124-131.
- Remus, Titiriga, Cyber-Attacks and International Law of Armed Conflicts; a Jus ad Bellum Perspective ,Journal of International Commercial Law and Technology, Vol. 8, Issue 3 (2013), pp. 179-189
- Cordula Droege, Get Off My Cloud: Cyber Warfare, International Humanitarian Law and the Protection of Civilians, International Review of the Red Cross, 2012.
- Robin Gei, Henning Lahmann, Cyber Warfare: Applying the Principle of Distinction in an Interconnected Space, Israel Law Review, 2012.
- Heather A Harrison Dinniss, The Nature of Objects: Targeting Networks and the Challenge of Defining Cyber Military, Israel Law Review, 2015 (1).
- Michael N. Schmitt, Wired Warfare: Computer Network Attack and Jus in Bello, International Review of the Red Cross, 2002.
- Qifan Wang, Applicability of Jus in Bello in Cyber Space: Dilemmas and Challenges, International Journal of Cyber Warfare and Terrorism, 2014, Vol.4 (3), pp.43-62.
Cyberattacks and State Responsibility
- Liu, Ian Yuying, State Responsibility and Cyberattacks: Defining Due Diligence Obligations, Indonesian Journal of International & Comparative Law, Vol. 4, Issue 2 (February 2017), pp. 191-260.
- Kulesza, Joanna, State Responsibility for Cyber-Attacks on International Peace and Security, Polish Yearbook of International Law, Vol. 29, pp. 139-152.
- Kristen Eichensehr, The Law & Politics of Cyberattack Attribution , UCLA Law Review, Vol. 67, (2020, Forthcoming), UCLA School of Law, Public Law Research Paper No. 19-36.
- Emrah Tanyildizi, State Responsibility in Cyberspace: The Problem of Attribution of CyberattacksConducted by Non-State Actors, Law & Justice Review, Vol. 8, Issue 14, June 2017.
- Ian Yuying Liu, State Responsibility and Cyberattacks: Defining Due Diligence Obligations , 4(2) The Indonesian Journal of International and Comparative Law 191-260, Monash University Faculty of Law Legal Studies Research Paper No. 2907662.
- Joanna Kulesza, State Responsibility for Acts of Cyber‐Terrorism, GigaNet: Global Internet Governance Academic Network, Annual Symposium 2010.
Cyber and International Criminal Law
- Nicholas Tsagourias and Russell Buchan, Research Handbook on International Law and Cyberspace, Edward Elgar Publishing, 2015.
- van Sliedregt, Elies, Command Responsibility and Cyberattacks , Journal of Conflict and Security Law, Vol. 21, Issue 3 (Winter 2016), pp. 505-522.
- Kai Ambos, InternationalCriminalResponsibility in Cyberspace , N. Tsagourias and R. Buchan (eds.), Research Handbook on Cyberspace and International Law, Cheltenham: Elgar, 2015, 118-143.
- Bert-Jaap Koopsand Morag Goodwin, Cyberspace, the Cloud, andCross-Border Criminal Investigation. The Limits andPossibilities of International Law, Tilburg Law School Research Paper No. 5/2016.
- Nyman Gibson Miralis, International Criminal Law and Australia’s Cyber Strategy: A Progress Report, Lexology, July 22 2019.
- Judge Stein Schjolberg, An International Criminal Tribunal for Cyberspace (ICTC), A paper for the EastWest Institute (EWI) Cybercrime Legal Working Group, 2012.
- Adi Libsker-Hazut, Cyber-crimes in the International Criminal Court: What is and What Ought to be, The Federmann Cyber Security Research Center – Cyber Law Program.
Cybercrime and Cyber Terrorism
- Miller, Kevin, Cyberattacks, the Laws of War, and the Crime of Aggression, ILSA Quarterly, Vol. 22, Issue 1 (October 2013), pp. 21-25.
- Miller, Kevin L., The Kampala Compromise and Cyberattacks: Can There Be an International Crime of Cyber-Aggression , Southern California Interdisciplinary Law Journal, Vol. 23, Issue 2 (Winter 2014), pp. 217-260.
- Marcel, Ioan, The Components of Cyber-Terrorism , International Journal of Information Security and Cybercrime, Vol. 2, Issue 1 (2013), pp. 49-58.
- Biller, Jeffrey Thomas, Cyber-Terrorism: Finding a Common Starting Point, Case Western Reserve Journal of Law, Technology and the Internet, Vol. 4, Issue 2 (Winter 2013), pp. 275-352.
- Oliveira, Daniela, Cyber-Terrorism & Critical Energy Infrastructure Vulnerability to Cyber-Attacks, Environmental & Energy Law & Policy Journal, Vol. 5, Issue 2 (2010), pp. 519-526
- Vilic, Vida M., Dark Web, Cyber Terrorism and Cyber Warfare: Dark Side of the Cyberspace, Balkan Social Science Review, Vol. 10, pp. 7-24.
- Grytsun, O., The Issues of International Legal Regulation of Cyber Terrorism, Law Review of Kyiv University of Law, Vol. 2014, Issue 4 (2014), pp. 312-317.
- Besliu, Dan-Calin, Cyber Terrorism – A Growing Threat in the Field of Cyber Security , International Journal of Information Security and Cybercrime, Vol. 6, Issue 2 (December 2017), pp. 35-39.